18 Jan Sea Captain’s Featured Employee: Executive Chef Mark
There’s a new face around the kitchen at The Sea Captain’s House in Myrtle Beach! His name is Chef Mark and he is the new Executive Chef at Sea Captain’s. He was able to take a minute away from the busy kitchen to answer a few questions so you are able to get to know the hands behind the delicious dishes you’ll be served the next time you dine at the award winning oceanfront seafood restaurant.
- How long have you worked at Sea Captain’s House? For about 4 weeks
- What made you apply to Sea Captain’s? I worked for FMP and I was constantly having to travel back and forth to Texas for my job. The position came open and it was local, so I applied so I could pursue my passion while also being closer to my family. Plus my Grandma has lived right around the corner from Sea Captain’s and used to frequent the restaurant so I grew up dining here and loved it!
- What led to your decision to become a chef? I went to school for business and never thought I’d wind up in the restaurant industry. When I was in high school, my best friend and I took 3 food and nutrition based courses and both worked at a country club – which is where I got my start in the culinary world. Fast forward to an opportunity coming open at Sea Captain’s to further my passion for food in a career as a chef. I love that every day is different, exciting and never boring!
- What’s your favorite Sea Captain’s dish to prepare? The Shrimp and Grits … and the Hushpuppies
- What dish would you recommend? The Captain’s Cake – it’s a giant crab cake made from succulent lump crab meat
- What do you enjoy most about working at Sea Captain’s House? I love the excitement of the job and the culture/atmosphere of the kitchen. We’re a team back there and treat each other with respect and work together really well. I enjoy the family environment of the restaurant.
- Do you follow any famous chefs? I enjoy keeping up with Anthony Bourdain and Gordon Ramsay.
- What inspires you? The other chefs here at Sea Captain’s – their creativity and work ethic are inspirational.