This ain’t no fish tale…
A Myrtle Beach restaurant was built in 1930 by Henry Taylor of High Point, NC. For 10 plus years the Taylor family vacationed at their oceanfront beach cottage. During the 1940s, Charles W. Angle purchased the cottage, enjoying the sound of the ocean’s tide until 1954, when Mrs. Nellie G. Howard purchased the cottage and began operating Howard’s Manor. With nine guestrooms and three home-cooked meals daily, the guesthouse was a forerunner in providing the warm southern hospitality Myrtle Beach is known for today. Howard’s Manor was advertised as a place where friends meet each year with the beach at their front door.
Each year hurricane season came and went with no great fuss. In 1954, however, Hurricane “Hazel” came to visit. When she left, she took the supports from under the screened front porch. Knowing the peacefulness the ocean brings to the soul, Mrs. Howard replaced the porch with a “Florida Room” to give her guests a more comfortable place to sit, look, and listen to the beautiful Atlantic.
By the early 1960s, the likes of the traveling public were beginning to change. Rather than the traditional guesthouse atmosphere, vacationers preferred a more modern type of accommodation.
In 1962 the property was sold and was to be torn down and replaced with a high-rise motel. At the time, however, financing was in short supply forcing a postponement of these plans. While waiting for the financial picture to brighten, the owners decided to operate the building as a restaurant. This planned year or two of waiting has turned into over 60 years.
Over the years many have crossed the path of the Sea Captain’s House, enjoying the superb dining, ocean view, and warm southern hospitality that the Sea Captain’s House offers. To this day, it is still known as the place for seafood where friends meet year after year.
Your visit to Myrtle Beach is not complete without a family gathering at the Sea Captain’s House!