31 Aug Sea Captain’s Recipe: Lemon Meringue Pie
The Sea Captain’s House Lemon Meringue Pie is the perfect summer treat. It has a cool, tangy meringue filling with a buttery, flaky crust that is browned to perfection. Try our breakdown of the recipe to make a small treat for yourself, or a few pies for your friends!
Yield: 9″ Pie Shell
|Ingredient||1 pie||2 pies||3 pies||4 pies|
|sugar||10 oz||20 oz||30 oz||40 oz|
|cornstarch||1 ½ oz||3 oz||4 ½ oz||6 oz|
|salt||smidge||pinch||⅛ t||¼ t|
|cold water||12 oz||24 oz||36 oz||48 oz|
|lemon juice||4 oz||8 oz||12 oz||16 oz|
|lemon zest||1 T||2 T||3 T||4 T|
|butter||½ oz||1 oz||1 ½ oz||2 oz|
1. Combine sugar with cornstarch, salt, and water in pot.
2. Cook over medium heat until mixture becomes thick and almost clear
3. Remove from heat and slowly whisk in egg yolks.
4. Return to heat and cook, stirring consistently, until thick and smooth.
5. Remove from heat and stir in juice, zest and butter, and whisk until smooth.
6. Let filling cool slightly, then fill pie shells (make sure your pie shells are par baked)
7. Whip egg whites until soft peaks form, then slowly add your 8oz of sugar.
8. Top pie with meringue and make sure to cover your edges to the crust.
9. Place pies in oven at 350 degrees until meringue is golden brown.
At Sea Captain’s House, we always feel life can be a little sweeter. We serve home made desserts for you to savor including Hummingbird cake, Key Lime Pie, and our Hot Fudge Sauce Cake. So come satisfy your sweet tooth with us. We can’t wait to see you here in Myrtle Beach!