19 Jan Sea Captain’s Feature Employee: Chef Derrick
Have you ever tried one of Sea Captain’s House’s “melt in your mouth” hushpuppies? It’s one of their specialties and we wanted you to get to know the man responsible for making the baskets of hushpuppies that taste more like a dessert than an appetizer. His name is Chef Derrick and he has a long history with Sea Captain’s in Myrtle Beach.
- How long have you worked at Sea Captain’s House? 17 years
- What made you apply to Sea Captain’s? My aunt used to work here for years in the salad department. My grandfather would come by and visit her at work and bring me along. I ended up getting another job and once that one ended, David Brittain remembered me from when I was young hanging out at the restaurant when my aunt was here, and offered me a position. I happily took it and have been here ever since!
- Why led to your decision to become a chef? My Grandma – I learned from here when I worked in the kitchen with her.
- What’s your favorite Sea Captain’s dish to prepare? While I love the Shrimp & Grits, I would have to say the Stir Fry. There’s a lot of flexibility with the dish and you can experiment with the flavors and seasonings, as well as with the fresh, seasonal vegetables that are incorporated in the dish.
- What dish would you recommend? the Shrimp Salad
- What do you enjoy most about working at Sea Captain’s House? I love the family atmosphere
- Do you follow any famous chefs? I enjoy watching Gordon Ramsay on Hell’s Kitchen.
- What inspires you? I’m inspired by a close friend who used to be a chef here, as well as the other chefs here at Sea Captain’s.