22 May Sea Captain’s Feature Employee: Laura Meade
Sea Captain’s House would like to formally introduce you to their new pastry chef, Laura Meade. Ever since she’s been hired she’s been hard at work – adding new recipes and whipping up the traditional Sea Captain’s dessert favorites ever since. We asked Laura a few questions so you are able to get a better “taste” of the hardworking and creative chef that creates the delectable desserts we proudly offer.
1. What’s your cooking background? I’ve been in the restaurant business forever because of my family. I started working in my dad’s restaurant at the age of 8. Baking has always been a hobby for me and the first thing I remember baking was biscuits.
2. How long have you worked at Sea Captain’s House? Since February 2017.
3. What do you love most about or what made you want to apply for a job at Sea Captain’s House? I’m honored to be apart of such an iconic restaurant. This job has been a learning experience and I love coming up with my own recipes to incorporate in the dessert menu.
4. What’s your favorite dessert? It’s hard to pick just one – Triple Chocolate Cheesecake, Peanut Butter Pie, Blackberry Custard Pie (I’d recommend if you’re looking for a dessert that’s not too sweet)
5. What’s your favorite Sea Captain’s House dessert you’ve ever made so far? Triple Chocolate Cheesecake
6. Would you rather bake a cake or a pie? A cake – and preferably one you don’t have to frost! 🙂 I’m still perfecting my cake decorating skills.
7. What’s your favorite event/occasion to make desserts for? I love making the traditional holiday desserts.
8. Are you looking forward to competing in the Taste of the Town in October? Have you already started coming up with recipes? Yes I’m excited because this will be my first year competing and I see it as a new challenge for myself to find the best recipe to submit.
9. Are you currently working on any new recipes? Yes I am constantly trying to come up with new recipes. I am currently trying to perfect a Strawberry Pie and a Lemon Meringue. I’m also trying to perfect my homemade pie crust that’s I use for the Blackberry Custard Pie so I can use the crust in other recipes.
10. What inspires you? I grew up on what I made with my mom & grandma so I like to take those classic/traditional recipes and put my own spin on it.
11. What’s your favorite part of your job? I look at my job as a challenge – nothing is ever finished because I can always make it better. I’m always looking for ways to improve and it definitely keeps things interesting. No day is ever the same in the kitchen!
12. Any goals for yourself while working at Sea Captain’s House? Besides constantly trying to perfect my recipes, I’d say for someone to come into Sea Captain’s House and say “We came in just for the dessert”. Sheryl, the General Manager at Sea Captain’s House, says “Laura has been a welcome addition to our team. We all feel very fortunate her as our Pastry Chef here at Sea Captain’s House.”
And just remember, if there is a dessert that you’ve tried at Sea Captain’s House, you can order that dessert as a whole pie or cake for any occasion – such as a birthday, baby shower or holiday party!